Meet Tom Hertel, our friend and partner since 1977 from Hertel’s in Port Alberni, BC.
- Tom and Helena Hertel started Hertel’s Meats in 1967.
- In 1967, Tom bought a backhoe which earned the nickname ‘Tobacco’ – he still uses it today!
- Tom also bought a bacon slicer – the ‘mean machine’ – that can slice 3000 lbs of bacon per hour!
- In his spare time, Tom likes to create rock carvings of animals like bears, turtles and frogs. He donates them to auctions from time to time
- You might be surprised to find out that Tom’s signature dish isn’t bacon – it’s scrambled eggs!
- Today, the family-run business in Port Alberni is run by Tom Hertel and Ron Caldwell, Tom’s son-in-law. Sometimes Tom’s grandchildren help too.
- Hertel’s has a tight team of 30 that prepares their products to send to our stores!
- Start the day out right with Bacon Pancakes or enjoy your evening over Bacon-wrapped Chicken Wings with Four-flavour Sauce.